September 29, 2011

Ruminations on a candle



Darkness envelops me in its impenetrability.
I light a candle and watch its light flicker,
tantalizing me with its slow, seductive dance.
I gaze intently into the bright yellow tongue of flame,
searching
for an answer that may or may not show itself.
For a fleeting second, I think I saw your face
in the shifting smoke, uncoiling itself, gray memories
fading into nothing.

(I have become one of those people
who see Jesus in their toast)

The wind is howling outside and I want
to howl my miseries alongside it
but I remain as steady as the wax dripping slowly onto the wooden table,
warm and white.
Don't stare too long at the candle,
my mother scolds,
you'll harm your eyes.
Harm? Mother,
I'm already burnt,
lost
in the promise of light
and warmth.

Photo source: http://weheartit.com/entry/15163947

No comments:

Post a Comment