September 16, 2011

Matters of consequence




Little prince, hear me,
the tippler has convinced me that happiness could be found at the bottom of a bottle
yet I remain lonesome on the planet of 1440 sunsets.
Send your fox, my little prince,
to remind me that my rose is unique in all the world
to make me see sheep through the walls of boxes.

Grown-ups laugh all too often at the folly of children,
but the children’s laughter at the folly of grown-ups
rings truer than any mathematical equation in their books,
and harsher than the steam whistle at the end of the day.
Alas, I have grown up, my little prince,
and the businessman has convinced me to own the stars.

Little prince, help me,
for I am afraid to be tamed.
Send the snake, my little prince,
I refuse to stay any longer on this planet
which I am afraid baobabs have overrun.
Take me to where
I can see the sun set forty-four times
and matters of consequence
concern only a coquettish flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment